- Call 330-244-5050 to preregister for the ACT residual test.
- Scores from the ACT residual test are
only good at Kent State University.
- Cost for the test is $60, payable by check or money order only.
2014 ACT Residual Test Dates at
Kent State Stark
- Tuesday, Dec. 2 at 3:30 p.m.
Stark Testing Services
The Testing Center at Kent State Stark offers the following testing services:
- ALEKS placement testing (may be taken online from home)
- ALEKS reassessment (must be taken at the Testing Center)
- COMPASS placement testing
- Foreign Language placement testing
- Music Theory placement testing
- CLEP - College Level Placement Examination
- Residual ACT Assessment
- Readers and scribes for students with disability accommodations
- Proctoring for missed and make-up exams
Students must be admitted in order to take Kent State University placement tests.
Most new students to Kent State University will be required to take the ALEKS placement test for mathematics. ALEKS is a powerful artificial intelligence-based (AI) assessment software product that zeroes in on the student's mathematical strengths and weaknesses, reports its findings, and then, if necessary, provides a learning module to improve the student's knowledge and skill.
The ALEKS placement test can be taken online from home through FlashLine. Students who wish to take ALEKS placement at the Academic Success Center are welcome to do so during walk-in testing hours.
New students who have current ACT scores will be placed in reading and writing courses according to ACT reading and English subscores.
New students who do not have current ACT scores must take COMPASS reading, writing and mathematics. COMPASS is a comprehensive, self-paced computer testing program that helps place students into appropriate courses and maximizes the information colleges need to ensure student success.
ALEKS and COMPASS test results are used by academic advisors to determine proper course placement.
- ALEKS and COMPASS are administered at no charge.
- Photo ID required for testing.
- The ALEKS placement may take up to 90 minutes to complete.
- COMPASS reading, writing and math may take up 120 minutes to complete.
- Appointments at the Academic Success Center are not necessary.
- Arrive at least two hours prior to closing to allow plenty of time to complete placement testing. If you are taking COMPASS and would like to take ALEKS on campus, you should allow yourself 3.5 hours. If you need additional time, the COMPASS test can be taken in parts. It is best to complete ALEKS in a single sitting.
- For more information on ALEKS, log into FlashLine > Student Tools & Courses > Placement Assessment.
- For sample test questions in reading, writing or math, visit www.act.org/compass/sample. Students who spend time reviewing concepts prior to taking placement assessments tend to earn higher placements.
2014 ALEKS / COMPASS Testing HoursSign-in at least two hours prior to closing.
August 4 - December 12
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. - 6:45 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Office closed September 1, November 11, November 27-28.
Testing will close at 4:45 p.m. on November 26.
December 15 - 23
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Office closed for Winter Break December 24 - January 1.
Office ClosingsThe office will close at 3 p.m. on the following Fridays:
- September 19
- October 17
- November 21
- December 19