Human Resources Certification
The SHRM Learning System *NEW DELIVERY FORMAT*
Kent State University at Stark will be offering The SHRM Learning System in a new format beginning in September 2013. This 12-week program which Kent has offered over the past 5 years, will pilot a blended learning arrangement by combining our traditional classroom interactions with an online, real-time learning environment. It is designed to provide a flexible, enjoyable and effective learning experience as well as convenience to participants who desire to prepare for the PHR or SPHR Certification exam for the upcoming testing cycle.
In this program, half of the contact hours will be held face-to-face in a classroom setting while the other half will be face-to-face in a synchronous (real-time) online learning format. During the synchronous format, you will be able to join the sessions from your home, office or any location with internet access, see the PowerPoint slides and other materials as well as our seasoned facilitator, Diane DeRubertis, on your computer while you listen to her give her lecture. Through a chat feature, you will be able to raise your hand to ask questions and provide input to discussions. In addition, the online lectures will be recorded, so you have the opportunity to review the content later at your own convenience.
Offered in partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), the curriculum is designed by subject matter experts, covers the most up-to-date HR Certification Institute body of knowledge and ranks as the #1 certification preparation program for consistently helping professionals beat the national pass rate. The SHRM Learning System provides HR professionals with more content, tests, learning tools and access to expert advice than any other PHR/SPHR exam preparation program. Printed materials are updated annually and online study tools are portable and convenient, with access to online tests, flashcards, and resources via iPhone, Blackberry, Palm Pre, Windows Mobile, or Google Android.
The SHRM Learning System (Blended Learning Format) Schedule
- September 5, 2013, 8:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Orientation Session – Face-to-face) The University Center (All students are required to attend an orientation session)
- September 10, and 12, 2013, 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM (Live/synchronous Online sessions)
- September 19, 2013, 8:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Face-to-face) The University Center
- September 24, and 26, 2013, 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM (Live/synchronous Online sessions)
- October 3 2013, 8:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Face-to-face) The University Center
- October 8, and 10, 2013, 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM (Live/synchronous Online sessions)
- October 17, 2013, 8:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Face-to-face) The University Center
- October 22, and 24, 2013, 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM (Live/synchronous Online sessions)
- October 31, 2013, 8:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Face-to-face) The University Center
- November 5, and 7, 2013, 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM (Live/synchronous Online sessions)
- November 14, 2013, 8:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Face-to-face) The University Center
- November 19, 2013, 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM (Live/synchronous Online sessions)
- November 21, 2013, 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM (Face-to-face) The University Center
Facilitator: Diane DeRubertis
Enroll in this program to assist you in preparing for the PHR and SPHR certification exams. You'll gain a solid foundation and the comprehensive knowledge necessary for effectively managing the HR challenges you face in today's demanding work environment. Through six modules that correspond to the six functional areas, responsibilities and associated knowledge as defined by the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI). These six modules are: Strategic Management, Workforce Planning and Employment, Human Resource Development, Compensation and Benefits, Employee and Labor Relations and Occupational Health, Safety and Security. Includes the study materials for the Professional in Human Resources (PHR) and Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification exams administered by HRCI. Offered in cooperation with the Society for Human Resource Managers (SHRM), you’ll receive study material for the PHR and SPHR certification exams administered by HRCI.
A program fee of $1,095* includes the SHRM Learning System print modules, online learning software, access to the online Resource Center, instructor handouts and 36 hours of classroom instruction. *A discounted rate of $995 is available to members of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). Please call 330-244-3508 if you are a current SHRM member to receive a $100 fee reduction.
What You'll Learn
The key to success of the PHR/SPHR certification and SHRM Learning System is the relevance of the content to the needs of today's HR professionals. The SHRM Learning System teaches the following six modules covering the HRCI body of knowledge tested in PHR/SPHR exams.
- Strategic Business Management
- Workforce Planning and Employment
- Human Resource Development
- Total Rewards
- Employee and Labor Relations
- Risk Management
How You'll Learn
The SHRM Learning System provides the most comprehensive and effective PHR/SPHR training program through a blended format of printed workbooks and web-based study tools. This easy-to-use system includes three key elements:
1. Printed Workbooks:
- Six print modules teach the HRCI body of knowledge tested in PHR and SPHR exams.
- Printed glossary of terms and subject index provided for each module.
- Easy-to-identify icons highlight key content and links to additional resources.
- SPHR Preparation Book specifically designed for SPHR candidates.
2. Online Tools with Mobile Access:
- Practice Tests (pre-test, module-specific test and post-test)
- Flashcards (over 750 covering all six modules)
- Glossary (Comprehensive reference for easy reference online or while reading the materials)
3. Resource Center
- HR Updates highlighting up-to-date legislative changes and new HR developments
- Free audio and webcasts for each module
- Test-taking strategies for the HRCI exam
- Ask The Expert feature for individualized follow-up questions
- Links to key HR information cited in the modules
- Feedback feature
4. Online instruction
- Synchronous lectures with archiving to review at a later date
- Online quizzes, tests and case studies
- Online discussion boards
5. Face-to-face meetings held on pre-determined schedule
- Study strategies
- Guest speakers
New "Plan to Pass" Tool
Setting a realistic study plan is critical to your success. SHRM has created a valuable tool called "Plan to Pass" that guides your studies. It takes your score from the pre-test (included in the SHRM Learning System) factors in your level of HR experience and creates a study plan based on areas that require the most attention. You can also track your progress as you study to ensure you're reaching your goals.
The HR Certification Institute requires HR professionals planning to sit for the PHR or SPHR exams to have a combination of demonstrated work experience and education. For eligibility information, visit www.hrci.org/Exam_Eligibility/.
All certification testing is computer-based and conducted at the 250 Prometric Test Centers around the country. For best results, schedule your certification exam for a date that is after the end of your particular class section. For information on the exam and how to register, visit www.hrci.org/HRCertification/. While no single course of study guarantees success on the HR Certification Institute examinations, thousands of individuals have used the SHRM Learning System to effectively prepare for the exams.