First Year Experience Success Series
The FYE Success Series is a sequence of workshops to help first year students succeed. With topics ranging from responsibility to relationships and stress to studying, there's something for everyone!
Success Series sessions are a great way to fulfill your FYE campus activity requirements.
YOU COULD WIN AN iPAD®!
The more sessions you attend, the more skills and knowledge you gain. Plus, at each session, you'll receive a raffle ticket to win one of two Apple iPads®.
iPad® drawing will take place after November 15.
Fall 2013 Success Series Workshops
All workshop sessions are 60 minutes in length unless otherwise indicated.
Student Life: Getting Involved Right from the Start
Come learn what Student Life is all about! Don't miss the chance to get involved on campus, join a student organization, help plan campus events and have fun!
- Monday, Sept. 9 • 10 a.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
First Year FAQs
Answers to the common questions first year students are thinking about.
- Tuesday, Sept. 10 • 2 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
Take a Non-Credit Class at the Recreation & Wellness Center
Take any non-credit class of your choice offered on the days listed below.
Class options and times can be found here. Choose one date:
- Monday, Sept. 16 • Recreation & Wellness Center
- Thursday, Oct. 3 • Recreation & Wellness Center
Stress gets a pretty bad rap when, in reality, it has a lot of benefits! This session will teach you a new perspective on stress, and how to make sure you are making your stress work FOR you, not against you. Choose one date:
- Wednesday, Sept. 18 • 5 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
- Monday, Sept. 23 • 11 a.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
Financially Surviving College
Topics include savings, cash management, credit and debt management, and time for questions.
- Friday, Sept. 20 • 9:30 a.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
Choosing a Major: Where Should I Begin? Can I Still Change Mine?
Topics will include tips and tricks for exploring a possible major, researching career opportunities related to a specific major, using the Kent Core requirements to your advantage and identifying resources that will assist you in making a decision. Choose one date:
- Thursday, Sept. 19 • 5:30 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
- Tuesday, Sept. 24 • 12:30 p.m. • Library Conference Room
Techniques for Taking Objective Exams
This session will focus on strategies for reducing test anxiety, creation of a review plan, active review strategies, exam questions prediction and evaluation of your exam preparation. In addition, strategies for answering multiple-choice questions using RACK and strategies for answering true/false questions will be introduced.
- Thursday, Sept. 26 • 2 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
Using Your MyPlan Career Results
MyPlan helps students plan more fulfilling lives by making informed decisions about their education and careers. Get help interpreting your MyPlan assessment results and taking steps towards planning for your future career.
- Friday, Sept. 27 • 2 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
Succeeding on Essay Exams
This session will focus on essay preparation strategies including PORPE, factors that influence your grade and test-time efficiency.
- Tuesday, Oct. 1 • 2 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
ALICE Training for Students
ALICE = Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate. This 90-minute session is designed to give you insight
and response options when encountering an active shooter and how to make critical decisions during times of extreme stress.
- Wednesday, Oct. 2 • 5:30 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
- Sorry, this session has filled to capacity.
Scheduling Your Second Semester
Practice using your program requirements and developing a class schedule for next semester. Choose one date:
- Friday, Oct. 4 • 12 p.m. • East Wing Computer Lab
- Thursday, Oct. 10 • 11 a.m. • East Wing Computer Lab
Study Abroad Opportunities
Whether you want to go for a semester, a year, or just a few weeks, Kent State University has a study abroad opportunity to fit your needs and your budget. This session will take a look at programs offered around the world and the steps to take to successfully plan your trip.
- Monday, Oct. 7 • 12 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
The Do's and Don'ts of Final Exam Preparation
This session will chronicle the exploits of two college students as they prepare for exams. One does everything right and reaps the rewards; the other definitely needs some help. Which are you when it comes to dealing with test anxiety? Find out how to build a plan to ensure that you are physically and mentally ready the day of the exam and make sure that you area ready to “show what you know,” as you sit for the exam. Choose one date:
- Tuesday, Oct. 8 • 2 p.m. • Main Hall Auditorium
- Thursday, Nov. 14 • 11 a.m. • Library Conference Room
Get What You Want: Advocating for Yourself
How to ask the right questions to get the answers you want to hear.
- Wednesday, Oct. 9 • 10 a.m. • Main Hall Auditorium