Representatives from all facets of our campus community serve on the Sustainability Committee to guide the completion of the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions Inventory and the development of an institutional Climate Action Plan (CAP) outlining the goals to achieve climate neutrality.
The mission of the Kent State Stark Sustainability Committee is to coordinate and implement a climate action plan, increase awareness of resource use, reduce the use of resources and educate and involve faculty, staff and students in adapting sustainable practices in their daily lives.
The Kent State Stark "Green Team" includes:
- Dr. Denise A. Seachrist, Interim Dean & Chief Administrative Officer
- Dr. Anne Haas, Assistant Professor, Sociology
- Dr. Kim Finer, Professor, Biological Sciences
- Roger Davis, Assistant Professor, Library
- Brooke Varner, Academic Advisor
- Venecia Alexander, Academic Advisor
- Tina Biasella, Director of External Affairs and Community Relations
The initial step in the ACUPCC process requires the selection of at least two Tangible Actions to reduce greenhouse gases while the GHG Inventory and the more comprehensive CAP is being developed. The committee has selected the following two Tangible Actions:
- The recommended adoption an energy-efficient appliance purchasing program requiring the purchase of ENERGY STAR certified products in all areas for which ratings exist. Learn more about this program.
- Participation in the Waste Minimization component of the national Recyclemania competition, and adopt three or more associated measures to reduce waste on campus. Learn more about this program.