Harvest for Hunger
Harvest for Hunger Campaign: March 18 - April 5
Kent State University at Stark is holding a Harvest for Hunger Food and Funds Drive to benefit the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, a local non-profit operation serving Carroll, Holmes, Medina, Portage, Stark, Summit, Tuscarawas and Wayne Counties. Take this opportunity to help feed the hungry in the community we serve. A student from your classroom or a family from your neighborhood could benefit from your generosity. I encourage you to join in Kent State Stark’s efforts to care for those who are less fortunate than ourselves.
All food and funds raised will help the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank and it’s network of more than 500 partner agency programs to supply emergency food to those in need. Food insecure families are so limited in their resources that they are forced to reduce the quality of their food, cut out meat and other high protein foods, as well as skipping meals so that their children can eat, or make tough decisions like paying for food or paying other costs of living.
Please help us achieve 100% participation in this important effort for the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank and the hungry in our community. Our goal is $1,000 and 1,000 pounds of food and we can’t do it without your support.
Here are some startling statistics about hunger in Northeast Ohio:
- One in seven Ohio households is at risk of being food insecure.
- More than 240,000 people in Northeast Ohio don’t have regular access to food.
- 49% of clients served by the Foodbank report having to choose between paying for food or paying for utilities.
- 35% of clients served by the Foodbank report having to choose between paying for food and paying for medical care.
How You Can Help:
- Donate Non-Perishable Food Items
The "Super Six" most needed items are:
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Soup
- Canned Beef
- Canned Vegetables
- Canned Tuna
Donation boxes will be located:
- Main Hall - Information Desk
- Library - Entrance
- Recreation & Wellness Center - Reception Desk
- Campus Center - Academic Success Center
- Fine Arts - First Floor Secretary's Office
- University Center - Timeclock area
- Donate Dollars & Change
- For every $1 collected, the Foodbank can provide four meals to the community.
- A change box is located in the Emporium.
- Monetary donations can be sent to Ashley Brightbill in the Academic Success Center.
Faculty & Staff Contact:
Office of External Affairs
Kent Stark North Building
Office of Student Life
Academic Success Center