Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).


Travel Resources

Stark Travel Request Deadlines

If Travel Begins
This Month

Your Request
is Due
December 15
January 15
February 15
April March 15
April 15
May 15
June 15
July 15
August 15
September 15
October 15
November 15


Faculty Travel Guidelines

Stark Travel Guidelines & Procedures


The faculty travel fund covers travel to professional conferences, exhibitions and performances and is overseen by the Professional Activities Advisory Committee (PAAC). PAAC makes recommendations to the associate dean who must approve and sign all requests for travel funds. The guidelines below apply to all full-time faculty, both TT (tenure-track or tenured) and NTT (non-tenure-track). Due to budgetary constraints adjunct faculty are currently not eligible for funding.

A maximum of $1,500 will be allocated for each full-time faculty member during the fiscal year (July 1 - June 30). This maximum can be reimbursed for a single conference, performance or exhibition or for several smaller ones. 

Chautauqua workshops, workshops for continuing education credits and certifications, and other sorts of training workshops will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but should be directly related to teaching or research responsibilities. Travel funds for these sorts of activities will be taken out of your allocated yearly amount.

Travel approval requests are submitted electronically. We do not accept requests in any other format. Follow these steps:

Submitting a Travel Approval Request

  1. For travel approval + funding, go to the Faculty Travel Approval and Funding Request Form.

    For travel approval only, go to the Faculty Travel Approval Request Form.

  2. Fill out the form(s) completely, following the instructions given in the form itself. If any field does not apply to your situation, please type in "NA." All fields should be filled out.

  3. The information you have provided on the form will be sent simultaneously to all members of PAAC.

  4. Remember to submit documentation as requested on the respective forms. If you only have a hard copy of your acceptance letter, you will need to scan it to create a digital copy. The Dean's Office is no longer accepting hard copies. If there is a conference website that indicates that your paper is on the program, you can submit the URL of the site in lieu of an acceptance letter.

When and How Often Can You Be Authorized to Travel

  • During final exam week: As long as travel does not interfere with scheduled exams, it will be considered. If there is a conflict, travel will be approved only under unusual circumstances.
  • During any semester: Travel should be limited so that no more than one week's total of any class is missed.

When to Apply for Funds

Requests must be submitted by the 15 day of the month preceding that in which the travel departure date will occur. For example, requests for travel beginning any time during the month of October should be submitted by Sept. 15. You may apply for funding for a conference, performance or exhibition before you have received acceptance in order to meet the deadline. The final approval will be granted upon receipt of your acceptance. Requests submitted after the deadline will not be funded. Early requests are ALWAYS welcome.

How Much You Can Be Reimbursed for Mileage and Meals

  • To view information about mileage, meal per diem, etc., go to
    FlashLine > My HR > Travel & Expense Reimbursements

  • There is no reimbursement for meals or lodging when there is no overnight stay per IRS regulations.

Driving vs. Flying
Per University Policy, applicants will only be reimbursed for the least costly travel method. Please see University Policy Register 3342-7-02.8  - administrative policy regarding travel regulations (in-state and out-of-state).

Travelers are encouraged to compare all the costs associated with each mode of transportation and select the one that is the most cost effective. The reimbursement for use of a privately-owned vehicle will be paid at the lower of a mileage allowance or accumulated airfare by coach for all individuals on approved travel status traveling in a privately-owned vehicle.

When comparing costs, the Dean's Office will take into consideration the additional expenses flying would entail (car rental or public transportation, baggage fee, parking, etc.)  

Applicants may only apply for parking, per diem (meals or lodging) during the event timeline and for travel time to and from.

Membership or Submission Fees Reimbursement
Faculty travel funds do not cover membership or submission fees. Membership and submission fees cannot be included in the registration fee amount on a travel request.

Poster Printing Reimbursement
Faculty travel funds do not cover the costs associated with printing a poster. For poster printing expenses, please contact the Dean's Office.

Reimbursement for Travel Expenses upon Completion of Travel

Due to budget limits and processing procedures, it is recommended that expense reimbursement requests be filed within 4 months after travel. Because the fiscal year at Kent State University ends on June 30, expense reimbursements for travel during a given fiscal year must be filed by June 15 of that year.

  • Complete the reimbursement workflow in
    FlashLine > My HR > Travel & Expense Reimbursement > Expense Reimbursement Workflow

    Submit a PRINTOUT of the form and original receipts for air fare, hotels, parking, taxis, conference registration, etc., to the Dean's Office. Do not submit meal receipts; per diem rates will be used.

    If you travel by car, please also submit a Mapquest printout of the travel route, including mileage.

How Rates of Reimbursement for Total Expenses are Determined

  • Travel within Ohio (one day only): For a one-day event with no lodging expenses in the state of Ohio, 50% of allowable expenses are reimbursed (per diem (meals or lodging) is not provided when there is no overnight stay due to IRS regulations). This rate applies regardless of the extent of your participation, that is, attendance, office holder, presenter.
  • Travel within Ohio (more than one day) AND travel out-of-state or country: For more than one day within Ohio with lodging expenses, and for all travel out-of-state or country, the following guidelines apply:
  • Attendance only = up to 45%
  • Office holder, convener, representative = up to 45%
  • Presentation of scholarly paper or poster, performance, exhibition = up to 90%
  • Exhibition expenses can include travel to deliver (or shipping charges to mail work) and install work, travel to attend exhibition opening and/or give an artist talk at the exhibition, and travel to dismantle (or shipping charges to mail back work) and return work. Performance expenses can include travel to rehearsals and performances.
The campus cannot provide funding for canceled trips or reimburse you before your trip has been completed. If a faculty member must cancel a trip for which a request has been made, it is the responsibility of the faculty member to seek refunds directly from the appropriate providers (e.g., conference organizers, airlines, hotels). Most providers have clear cancellation policies. If you travel in Ohio and stay at a hotel you don't have to pay state taxes. Print the tax exempt form and give it to the hotel so they don't charge you state tax. This works for other purchases that would have state tax also. Other non-state sales taxes will be charged and reimbursed if appropriate.

More Information